The Best Diet for Women who are trying to Get Pregnant
For many women it is the biggest dream – to get pregnant and have healthy baby. We are able to do everything in our power to make this dream come true. Unfortunately more and more women have problems to get pregnant. There are several reasons of this situation, such as genetic disorders or environmental pollution. If you have this kind of problems the best option is to consulate your doctor. However you can start improving your fertility in your home – you can change your diet. You should know what is the best diet for women trying to get pregnant. Remember, pregnancy is the most wonderful miracle but sometimes you have to fight for it.
The best diet for women who are trying to conceive includes:
- You should eat eight portions of organic vegetables and fruits every day. They contain more nutrients than non-organic. Also a level of pesticides is lower.
- Drink eight glasses of fruit/herbal teas or filtered water. Thanks to that you will be able to flush out excess toxins.
- Add to your diet foods rich in protein such as: lean meat, low-fat dairy products, poultry, fish, nut butters (like cashew butter, almond or peanut), seeds, nuts, beans, lentils, whole-grain products.
- Eat often and little to sustain your blood sugar levels. Excessive drops in blood sugar can leads to higher adrenalin level and this can block progesterone (it plays important role in maintaining pregnancy).
- Eat more organic products than animal. Dairy products and non-organic meat contain antibiotics and growth hormones.
- Remember to consume fats – just choose the good ones. Add to your diet pumpkins seeds, sunflower and oily fish (salmon, mackerel etc.).
- Your diet must be packed with folates. This is why you have to eat foods such as: asparagus, oatmeal, orange juice, lentils, spinach, pinto and navy beans.
- Do not forget about foods rich in fibre – it is essential to keep the bowels regular and therefore it is important for fertility. Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits.
- Make your diet rich in brown whole foods. These foods will be healthier for you than white refined foods.
Keep in mind that you have to avoid the following:
- Undercooked or raw eggs, fish, meats or unpasteurized cheeses
Eating these kinds of foods put you at risk for listeria, salmonella and other food bacteria. These germs can be very harmful to a developing fetus. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, women in pregnancy are twenty times more likely to develop listeriosis than other healthy adults. Do not take the risk and cook your fish, eggs and meat all the way through.
We still have no researches proving effect of caffeine on ability to get pregnant. However it is better idea to drink no more than equivalent of two cups of caffeine daily.
If you really want to get pregnant you have to eliminate or reduce alcohol consumption. Alcohol can cause several birth defects. What is more, according to some experts alcohol can inhibit ability to get pregnant.
- Swordfish, king mackerel, shark or tilefish
All these fish contain mercury, which can accumulate and linger in your body. High level of this mineral can be harmful not only to you – also it can damage your baby’s developing nervous system.
- Soy foods and soybeans
Large quantities of soy protein can inhibit your fertility. If you are experiencing infertility problems you should think about dropping tofu, tempeh and soy milk from your diet.
If you try to get pregnant proper diet might be very important. Of course sometimes it is not enough and you have to visit your doctor. However you should be aware what kind of foods is healthy for you and which one you must avoid. The key to success is to consume foods rich in fibre, protein and folates. Also it is important to know that your body will be less fertile if you are overeating or undereating. When you have too less or too much fat estrogen levels will get thrown off. Such a situation can affect your fertility. Remember, thanks to healthy diet and proper weight you will feel better. Also your chances to get pregnant will increase and that is the most important benefit.