Health Benefits of Dried Cranberries
Dried cranberries are one among of the dried fruits which provide essential nutrients. They have many health benefits because of their nutrition content. They are rich in dietary fiber, carbohydrates, proteins, etc. They are also a good source of vitamins and minerals such as vitamins b12, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, phosphorus, potassium, iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, manganese, copper, etc. This article lists out the various health benefits of this dry fruit. Let us examine them.
Dried Cranberries Health Benefits
There are many health benefits of dried cranberries which are discussed below.
- Urinary tract infections: Dried cranberries contain proanthocyanidins that decreases the bacterial adherence to the lining of the urinary tract wall. It also acidifies (decreases the pH) the urine and also prevents the sticking of the bacteria to the walls of the bladder.
- Prevents cancer development: Cancer prevention is one of the health benefits of dried cranberries. Dried cranberries contains very high amounts of C vitamin and antioxidants that decreases the free radicals effect on the body and thus inhibits the development of cancerous cells. Cranberries also contains chemicals which help in preventing the multiplications of cancerous cells of the breast, lung, colon and other cancerous tumors.
- Heart disease: Dried cranberries contain flavonoids that helps in reducing the bad cholesterol in the arteries walls and also decreases the clogging of arteries. They also help in increasing the level of good cholesterol inside the body. It also contains powerful antioxidants that helps to repair the damage caused by the free radicals.
- Prevents strokes: Research has also found that intake of cranberry juice daily has help to build the health of cardiovascular system and prevent heart strokes and attacks.
- Maintains digestive health: health benefits of dried cranberries include the maintenance of digestive tract. Dried cranberries heps in improving the digestive health as it contains very high content of dietary fiber than fresh cranberries. High dietary fiber content is beneficial for the digestive system and helps in maintaining the digestive health.
- Prevents tooth decay: One of the health benefits of dried cranberries include prevention of tooth decay. Dried cranberries contain chemicals which helps to prevent the adherence of bacterial to the surface of the teeth. Thus, helps in preventing the dental plaques formation. The anti-inflammatory properties lowers the risk of developing periodontal disease.
- Strengthens teeth and bones: Dried cranberries are a good source of calcium along with other essential minerals which help in strengthening the teeth and bones. It also lowers the risk of developing osteoporosis, the joint disease.
- Fights against infections: One among the health benefit of dried cranberries is to help fight against infections. Cranberries also helps to build the immune system and to fight against vital and bacterial infections.
- Anti-inflammatory benefits: Dried cranberries have shown to provide anti-inflammatory benefits for the digestive tract and its many other parts (including gums and mouth, colon and stomach) and for the cardiovascular system. This is because of phytonutrients present in the cranberries which are effective in reducing the risk of all the unwanted inflammation.
- Prevents kidney stone formation: Dried cranberries are rich in calcium and thus they help in preventing kidney stones. But, there are two types of stones formed in the body. Thus, patients susceptible to the kidney stones formation must consult an expert before including cranberries in their diet.
- Recovers form illnesses: Dried cranberries when take with other dried fruits, nuts are an excellent and a very healthy snack, especially during the recovery period after illnesses or during winter when our body requires more energy.
The above listed ones are the health benefits of dried cranberries. Thus, include them in your diet to gain all its nutritional content. But, diabetic patients must avoid as it contains high amount of calories.