10 Awful Side Effects of Crash Dieting
The side effects of crash dieting can take a toll on your health in the long run. Crash diet refers to decrease in the intake of calories to lose weight fast. This puts the body in starvation mode, resulting in harmful effects to the body, as mentioned below.
The Harmful Effects of Crash Dieting
- The weight comes back- Unfortunately the weight that you lose from crash diets soon returns once you resume the normal diet. This happens as the body gets used to less calories and therefore, slows down the metabolism. In the beginning one might lose weight but after sometime it stops and losing weight becomes all the more challenging.
- Loss of nutrients- The problem with crash diets is that they do not provide body with the necessary nutrients like carbohydrates, fats, proteins, calcium etc. This condition might lead to malnutrition. If this continues, the body’s immune system (natural defense mechanism) might become weak.
- Osteoporosis in women- In fad diets, people (especially women) do not get sufficient calcium, causing weakness of the bones. This stage can further lead to osteoporosis (a diseases that increases the risk of fractures) particularly in menopausal women.
- Muscles are burnt- The result of crash dieting is not the loss of fat but the burning of the muscles. The fats gets stored and the body starts burning the muscles and the tissues of the organs like liver, kidney and brain.
- Further eating disorders- The continuing habit of crash dieting can give rise to eating disorders like anorexia (excessive fear of putting on weight) or bulimia (excessive binge eating). These conditions can further harm you physically and psychologically.
- Aging process- One of the biggest side effects of crash dieting is the aging process. The signs of aging like wrinkle, sagging skin and fine lines appear early in crash dieters.
- Electrolyte imbalance- The crash diets cause electrolyte imbalance in the body. It might also lead to decrease in the low blood cells. This results in heart disorders and even organ failure.
- Menstrual disorder- Young women who resort to unhealthy diets to lose weight often face the menstrual disorder problems. They might suffer from scanty period, irregular periods or even absence of periods. This increases the chances of infertility.
- Hair loss- You will surely have to say good bye to your hair if you take up yo-yo diet. This type of diet lack the nutrients and vitamins necessary for healthy hair. You may observe hair loss after starting crash diet.
- Mood swings- Body needs Vitamin C and B to produce dopamines and serotines which control the moods. In their absence, one becomes irritable and have mood swings. It may also cause depression.
Think about these horrible effects of crash dieting before embracing it.