Things to Keep in Mind in Ischemic Colitis Diet
The main thing to keep in mind in an ischemic colitis diet is to consume foods which are soft and easy to digest. This condition usually occurs when the blood flow to the colon is obstructed, resulting in the inflammation of the large intestine. Since it is a digestive system disorder, a proper diet will definitely be helpful in treating the condition. One should take care of one’s diet and eating habits too.
Foods to be avoided in the diet for ischemic colitis
- Foods which are not digested fully can hinder in the healing of the colon. Some of the foods are:
- Foods high in fiber should also be avoided as they might act as irritants to the digestive system. Some of the foods are:
- raw vegetables
- whole grains
- Avoid spicy foods
- Do not eat gas-producing foods like:
- Mustard seeds
Recommended foods in ischemic colitis diet
A balanced diet which is nutrient-rich will help treat ischemic colitis effectively. The foods should be easily digestible to avoid putting pressure on the digestive system. They should be able to heal the body. Some of the recommended foods are:
- White rice
- White fish
- Coconut water
- Drumstick drink
Eating habits in the diet for ischemic colitis
Besides the dietary restrictions, the following eating habits should be inculcated in the lifestyle:
- Drink plenty of water. Six to eight glasses of water should be consumed. This will prevent constipation.
- Eat small bites while eating food.
- Chew the food properly for good digestion.
- Gulping the drink or food might cause gas.
- It is advised to eat small meals.
- Eat food only when you are hungry.
- Cut down caffeine and alcohol from the ischemic colitis diet.
Thus, diet plays a very important role in the treatment of ischemic colitis. Consult your physician before starting the above mentioned dietary changes.