What to Eat During Second Trimester of Pregnancy?
As you enter the second trimester of pregnancy you need to be highly careful with your diet because this is an important phase. In this period, there is a lot of tissue formation as well as enlargement of breasts and uterus. There is also an increase in the blood volume. With so many vital activities taking place during this phase, you need to maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
Foods to Eat During the Second Trimester of Pregnancy
While planning the diet for this phase, you need to be careful. During such a crucial stage you cannot ignore any particular food group. Hence, try to include all the essential food groups like carbohydrates, fats, proteins, minerals and vitamins in your diet.
Here are some of the important dietary tips for you to make your second trimester pregnancy diet healthy and well-balanced:
- Fresh Vegetables and Fruits: Fresh vegetables and fruits are an important part of second trimester diet. Make sure that you include 3-5 servings of fresh fruits and vegetable in your second trimester pregnancy diet plan. Dark green leafy vegetables and yellow and orange vegetables and fruits are important. Always try to keep sweet fruits with you when you are out.
- Fiber Rich Diet: Generally, it is observed that during second trimester pregnant woman suffers from constipation. Hence, you need to include lots of fiber in your second trimester pregnancy diet plan. Fiber rich diet ensures smooth bowel movement, relieving you from constipation.
- Low Fat Foods: Excess of fat in your diet will increase your weight which might be risky for your pregnancy. Hence, try to cut down all your junk and fat laden food from your second trimester pregnancy diet plan.
- Dairy Products: Dairy products like milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, etc. are essential during second trimester of pregnancy. Try to consume one glass of milk daily but make sure that you take skimmed milk. Dairy products are rich source of calcium and are essential for healthy growth of your child.
- Limit Your Sugar: Be careful while consuming any sugary product. Try to limit your sugar consumption as they add on to your weight. Excess weight gain is unhealthy during the pregnancy. Look for sugar-free options and avoid adding sugar in your juices or other beverages.
It is advisable that before following any diet plan or tips for this phase consult your gynecologist and dietitian.
Pregnancy Diet Tips- Second Trimester
- The body requires more energy during pregnancy. It is recommended that a pregnant woman should increase the calorie intake by 100 in the first trimester and by 300 in the second trimester of pregnancy.
- A light snack before bedtime will also fulfill your energy needs. Go for a fruit, milk, yogurt or a couple of biscuits.
- Iron is important to maintain the normal blood supply to the fetus and placenta. A low dose of iron supplement is recommended in the second trimester of pregnancy. Eat more iron-rich foods like dried fruits, red meat, iron-fortified cereals etc.
- Calcium is also needed for baby’s healthy teeth and bones. The recommended dosage is 1000mg to 1300 mg. One can either fulfill the requirement through dietary sources or supplements.
- Limit your intake of caffeine to 3 to 4 small cups in a day.
- Avoid eating high-mercury seafood like King Mackerel, Shark, Swordfish etc. It is advised to limit seafood intake to 2 servings in a week.
- Use artificial sweeteners in moderation.
- Have herbal teas instead of the regular ones. Ginger tea, citrus peel tea, lemon balm tea etc., are good for second trimester of pregnancy.
- Do not skip meals and eat a balanced diet.
- It is better to avoid alcohol or cut down the frequency.
These for second trimester pregnancy diet tips will help you understand the dietary requirements during pregnancy.